Pictured: Asst. Prof. Daisuke Takagi speaking to the Manoa Math Ohana.
The American Mathematical Society ranks our program among the 56 Group 2 departments, behind the 25 public and 23 private Group 1 departments. Details on the AMS ranking.
Specifically, the AMS put us in the “Math Public Small” category, together with (to mention our geographical neighbors in that category) UC Santa Cruz, UC Riverside, Oregon State, and Washington State.
National Science Foundation
Collaborative Research: Algebra and Algorithms, Structure and Complexity Theory
Dynamics, Geometry, and K-Theory
Award Number:1401126; Principal Investigator:Rufus Willett; Organization:University of Hawaii;NSF Organization:DMS Award Date:07/01/2014; Award Amount:$126,000.00.
Kernel approximation with scalable bases
11th International Conference on Computability, Complexity and Randomness
Bjørn Kjos-Hanssen (2015–2016); Award Amount:$22,480
Army Research Office
Simons Foundation: Collaboration Grants for Mathematicians
2015: Monique Chyba, Michelle Manes
2014: Bjørn Kjos-Hanssen
2012: Erik Guentner
2011: Pavel Guerzhoy
Some of our major past extramural funding
- School and University Partnership for Educational Renewal in Mathematics (SUPER-M): Monique Chyba (PI), Erik Guentner, Mirjana Jovovic, Michelle Manes, and David Ross (co-PIs) have been awarded a five-year, $2.7 million grant from the National Science Foundation. For more information please go to http://math.hawaii.edu/SUPERM/
- Leslie Wilson (PI) and Ann Castelfranco (co-PI), NSF UBM grant, $298,922, 2006-2011 (undergraduate research experiences in mathematical biology)
- Bjørn Kjos-Hanssen, PI of NSF grant "Computability and Probability" of $\$200,000$ during 2009-2013. Kjos-Hanssen is also one of 13 co-PIs on an NSF Focused Research Group on Algorithmic Randomness, from around the country. Total cost: $\$500,000$ during 2007-2011.
- Erik Guentner, NSF Faculty Early Career Development Award, $400,000, 2004-2010.
- J.B. Nation, NSF CSEMS Scholarship grant, $\$396,000$, 2004-2008 (scholarships in computer science, engineering and mathematics)
- Monique Chyba, NSF grant, 2003-2006, with the Autonomous Systems Laboratory
- Pavel Guerzhoy, Congruences related to modular forms, NSF standard grant, 2006-2009.
- Monique Chyba, 2008 Regents Medal for Excellence in Teaching
- Ralph Freese: 2000 Regents Medal for Excellence in Research
- Bjørn Kjos-Hanssen: Marie Curie Fellowship , European Union, 2002-2004
University and public service
- System-wide mathematics initiatives
- Monique Chyba: Robo Nemo, an under water technology program for young students, Beautiful Afternoon of Mathematics for Girls and Their Families .
- Karl Dovermann: Heads Talent Development Hawaii Project which provides learning opportunities for talented high school students.
- Mirjana Jovovic, Michelle Manes: Beautiful Afternoon of Mathematics for Girls and Their Families .
- David Ross: Chair of the Manoa Faculty Senate, 2009-2010. Past Chair of the Faculty Senate Committee on Academic Policy and Planning and the Faculty Senate ad-hoc committee on UARC.
- Wayne Smith: Past member of the Manoa Faculty Senate, the A&S Senate Executive Committee and the Natural Sciences Curriculum Committee.
- George Wilkens: Math department representative to the faculty union UHPA.
- Les Wilson: Manoa Writing Committee, A&S Program and Curriculum Committee.