The Math Department has an exam for placement in courses. It is sometimes called the assessment exam but more often the placement exam. Based on your math placement exam score, the Mathematics Department will enter a BMAT score into Banner. Your BMAT score is good for one year. This will allow you to register for certain mathematics courses.
|MINIMUM SCORE REQUIRED||BMAT||APPROVED FOR:|
|Part I||Part II|
|14||1||Math 140, 203|
|14||10||2||Math 140, 203, 215; Physics 151|
|14||12||3||Math 140, 203, 215, 241; Physics 151|
|14||14||4||Math 140, 203, 215, 241, 251A*; Physics 151|
- Take the practice exams. Note the problems you missed.
- Review similar problems covered in high school math classes. Part 1 covers high school algebra. You have to pass Part 1 with 14 or more points to take Part 2 which additionally covers logarithm and trigonometry problems.
- Take the Math Boot Camp two weeks before the fall semester.
- Preparation for the Placement Exam & What to do if you did not reach the desired or needed score
On campus You may reserve an exam here. Reservations are recommended, but walk-ins are always welcome.
Off campus through ProctorU If you have a good internet connection, you may take the exam from a laptop computer or desktop computer with a webcam. To take the Math Placement Exam off campus (it costs $25) click here: proctoru.com/hawaii . After completing the exam, email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) to record your score. Alternatively, you may take the exam at an NCTA approved testing center.
- On-campus testing is held in the computer lab, Physical Science 208
- You will not be allowed to take the exam without your UH Student ID or an official picture ID.
- Calculators are not allowed.
- Bring a pencil.
- Your score on the exam is valid for one year from the date you took it.
Viewing your BMAT score
Log in to MyUH. Follow the path: Star Degree Check > View Transcript > Star for Students > Transcript/Grades > Campus Transcript by Semester
You may take the Placement Exam once during each of these periods:
- March 16th through July 15th (good for the Summer and upcoming Fall and Spring),
- July 16th through November 15th (good for the Fall and upcoming Spring and Summer),
- November 16th through March 15th (good for the Spring and upcoming Summer and Fall).
You may not need to take the math placement exam if you either
- passed the exam no more than one year ago, or
- have appropriate transfer credits, or
- received an acceptable score on the Calculus Advanced Placement Exam, Math SAT, ACT (see details), or
- if you want Math 140 and got a C or better in Math 134 at UHM or a UH Community College or Math 104F at UH Hilo.