The Hawai’i Number Theory Conference 2019 (HINT 2019
) was held in Keller (with plenary
talks in Bilger Hall) during Spring break (March 18–21, 2019) and
boasted 54 speakers and more than 150 participants from around the
The five plenary speakers,
- Jennifer Balakrishnan (Boston U.),
- Wen-Ching Winnie Li (Penn State),
- Joseph Silverman (Brown),
- Kristin Lauter (Microsoft Research), and
- Barry Mazur (Harvard))
were joined by speakers in four concurrently running special sessions:
- Algebraic numbers and Diophantine equations,
- Arithmetic geometry,
- Arithmetic statistics and its environs, and
- Modular forms and related topics.
The organizers were UH faculty members Annie Carter, Pavel Guerzhoy, and Robert Harron, as well as regular visitor Claude Levesque (U. Laval). They were joined by special session organizers Piper H (UH), Michelle Manes (UH/NSF), and Ken Ono (Emory).
The NSF grant DMS-1903815 provided funding to support participants’ travel and lodging and the UH Mānoa Department of Mathematics provided some additional funds for refreshments.