The Math Department requires an exam for placement in many courses. Based on your exam results, the department will enter a BMAT score into your Banner student record. Your BMAT score
determines the classes in which you are allowed to register and stays valid for one year. The exam is given in two parts, each with a 30 minute time limit, and your combined results on each part
determine your BMAT score. Both parts of the exam must be taken in the same session, and you must pass Part 1 in order to take Part 2. You may only take the exam one time per exam window – see the Repeat Policy below for additional details. Taking our Practice Exams to prepare is strongly encouraged. The exam may be taken
on campus or remotely either through proctorU or an NCTA
approved testing center.
generated with each attempt.
- On campus testing is in the Physical Science Building, Room 208. (Campus Map)
- You will not be allowed to attempt the exam without your UH Student ID or an official picture ID.
- Phones and calculators are NOT allowed.
- Off campus testing with ProctorU requires visual verification of the above items and additional security measures. You must allow a proctor access to control your computer during portions of the session.
- Bring a pencil for scratch work.
- Your score on the exam is valid for one year.
On-campus Math Placement Exams
In person exams no longer require face masks or other COVID/health restrictions. All other requirements listed in the Basic Rules above will be enforced. Reservations are strongly
recommended, but we also accommodate all walk-ins if possible based on seating availability.
The following dates and times are scheduled:
- Tuesday, March 7th – 3:30pm
- Tuesday, March 21st – 3:30pm
- Wednesday, March 29th – 3:30pm
- Wednesday, April 5th – 3:30pm
- Tuesday, April 11th – 3:30pm
- Friday, April 14th – 3:30pm
Tuesday, April 18th – 3:30pm
- Wednesday, April 26th – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
- Monday, June 5th – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
- Tuesday, June 13th – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
- Monday, June 26th – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
- Monday, July 3rd – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
- Monday, July 10th – 3:30pm
- Tuesday, August 8th – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
- Tuesday, August 22th – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
- Thursday, August 24th – 3:30pm and 4:30pm
Additional sessions will be added as needed according to demand.
ID IS REQUIRED:
New Incoming Students may pick up an UH ID from the Student Campus Center. You must know your 8-digit UH ID number.
Passports, Driver’s License, State ID, Military ID, and other valid
picture IDs are accepted. Please contact us with further questions.
Off campus through ProctorU
If you have a fast and reliable internet connection, you may take the exam from a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam using
either the Chrome or Firefox web browsers. Please test your
equipment by going to the following site: ProctorU – How do I test my equipment?
The base cost is $17.50 with additional fees possible for rush
service. To take the Math Placement Exam off campus, please see the following website: proctoru.com/hawaii. If you have questions about scheduling your ProctorU exam, please see the following link ProctorU – How do I schedule my exam?
Scores will be entered by 12 noon HST on the third business day
following your Exam date. This is to allow for any issues/anomalies to be reported by ProctorU or the remote testing center. If you do not see your score in STAR within or after three business days, please email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) to record your score.
Off campus at a Remote Testing Center
Alternatively, you may take the exam at an NCTA approved testing center.
Procedure: Contact the approved testing center of your choice and arrange a time and date for the exam. You are responsible for all fees charged by the remote testing center. Have the testing center
contact our department at email@example.com at least 5 days before the scheduled exam date. They must send us your UH user name and exam time and date. We cannot accept notification from a student directly – please ensure that the testing center sends the
Viewing your BMAT score
Log in to STAR GPS Registration. Follow the path: Transcripts -> Campus Transcript by Semester. Your score should be located in the top left corner.
*EFFECTIVE beginning Spring 2018 – ICS 141 requires MATH 215 or 241 or 251A with a grade of “C” or better as its prerequisite. Therefore, you can no longer use the MATH Assessment exam to place into ICS 141.
*EFFECTIVE beginning Fall 2019 – ATMO 150, ERTH 150, and OCN 150 require completion of MATH 134, 161 or MATH assessment exam (with score required for MATH 140).
*EFFECTIVE beginning Fall 2020 – BIOL 220, BIOL 220L, BOT 220, and BOT 220L requires completion of MATH 134 or MATH assessment exam (with score required for MATH 140) as one of their prerequisites. Please see UH Manoa 2020-2021 Catalog for additional prerequisites.
|MINIMUM SCORE REQUIRED||BMAT||APPROVED FOR:|
|Part I||Part II|
|Less than 14||—||0||Did not pass exam. Please refer to our Repeat Policy below and Ways to Prepare for the Exam|
|14||—||1||Math 140, 203; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*
|14||10||2||Math 140, 203, 215; Physics 151; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*|
|14||12||3||Math 140, 203, 215, 241; Physics 151; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*|
|14||14||4||Math 140, 203, 215, 241, 251A**; Physics 151; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*
*For BIOL 220, BIOL 220L, BOT 220 & BOT 220L, please see UH Manoa 2020-2021 Catalog for additional prerequisites.
**To enroll in Math 251A, please schedule an interview with our
faculty by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone: (808)956-4679. Please include your first and last name, and UH user name.
You may take the Placement Exam once during each of these time windows:
- March 16th through June 15th (valid for the upcoming Summer, Fall and Spring semesters),
- June 16th through October 15th (valid for upcoming Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters),
- October 16th through March 15th (valid for the upcoming Spring, Summer and Fall semesters).
Note: Your BMAT score is valid for ONE year.
You may not need to take the math placement exam if you either
- passed the exam no more than one year ago, or
- have appropriate transfer credits, or
- received an acceptable score on the Calculus Advanced Placement Exam, Math SAT, ACT (see details), or
- if you completed a prerequisite course with a grade of C or better at any UH Campus: for example, Math 134 or Math 135 at any UH campus fulfills the prerequisite for Math 140 at UH Mānoa, and Math 140 or Math 140X at any UH campus fulfills the prerequisite for Math 215 or Math 241 at UH Mānoa
For questions about PHYS 151 contact the Physics Department at 956-7087 or email@example.com. For questions about ICS 141, please contact the ICS Department at 956-7420 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about SOEST courses, please contact them at 956-8763 or email@example.com. For questions about BIOL courses, please contact them at 956-8303 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about BOT courses, please contact them at 956-8369.