The Math Department requires an exam for placement in certain courses. It is called the placement exam but also sometimes referred to as the assessment exam. Based on your math placement exam score, the Mathematics Department will enter a BMAT score into your Banner student record. Your BMAT score determines the classes in which you are allowed to register, and it stays valid for one year.
- Take the practice exams. Note the problems you missed.
- Review similar problems covered in high school math classes. Part 1 covers high school algebra. You have to pass Part 1 with 14 or more points to take Part 2 which also contains logarithm and trigonometry problems.
- Take the Math Boot Camp two weeks before the fall semester. All Math Boot Camp students may take/re-take the math placement exam independently from the date of their last attempt!
- Preparation for the Placement Exam & What to do if you did not reach the desired or needed score
On campus: The placement exam is given regularly on campus in our computer lab. Reservations are recommended, but walk-ins are also welcome. There is no fee to take the exam on campus.
Scores will be entered by 12 noon HST of the following business day.
Off campus through ProctorU: If you have a fast and reliable internet connection, you may take the exam from a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam. The base cost is $17.50 with additional fees possible for rush service. To take the Math Placement Exam off campus, click here: proctoru.com/hawaii . After completing the exam, email us (email@example.com) to record your score. Alternatively, you may take the exam at an NCTA approved testing center.
Scores will be entered by 12 noon HST on the third business day following your Exam date. This is to allow for any issues/anomalies to be reported by ProctorU or the remote testing center.
- On campus testing is in the Physical Science 208 computer lab.
- You will not be allowed to attempt the exam without your UH Student ID or an official picture ID.
- Phones and calculators are not allowed.
- Off campus testing with ProctorU requires visual verification of the above items and additional security measures. You must allow your proctor to control your computer during portions of the session.
- Bring a pencil.
- Your score on the exam is valid for one year.
Viewing your BMAT score
Log in to MyUH. Follow the path: Star Degree Check > View Transcript > Star for Students > Transcript/Grades > Campus Transcript by Semester
***EFFECTIVE beginning Spring 2018 – ICS 141 requires MATH 215 or 241 or 251A with a grade of “C” or better as its prerequisite. Therefore, you can no longer use the MATH Assessment exam to place into ICS 141. ***
***EFFECTIVE: 7/16/18 - Math 251A WILL BE
offered for the Fall 2018 semester.***
|MINIMUM SCORE REQUIRED||BMAT||APPROVED FOR:|
|Part I||Part II|
|Less than 14||—||0||Did not pass exam. Please refer to our Repeat Policy and Ways to Prepare for the Exam|
|14||—||1||Math 140, 203|
|14||10||2||Math 140, 203, 215; Physics 151|
|14||12||3||Math 140, 203, 215, 241; Physics 151|
|14||14||4||Math 140, 203, 215, 241, 251A*; Physics 151
You may take the Placement Exam once during each of these periods:
- April 16th through July 15th (good for the Summer, Fall and upcoming Spring),
- July 16th through November 15th (good for the Fall and upcoming Spring and Summer),
- November 16th through April 15th (good for the upcoming Spring, Summer and Fall).
You may not need to take the math placement exam if you either
- passed the exam no more than one year ago, or
- have appropriate transfer credits, or
- received an acceptable score on the Calculus Advanced Placement Exam, Math SAT, ACT (see details), or
- if you want Math 140 and got credit in Math 134 or 135 at UH Manoa
- if you want Math 140 and got a grade of “C” or better in Math 135 at a UH Community College or at UH West Oahu
- if you want Math 140 and got a grade of “C” or better in Math 104F at UH Hilo
- All Math Boot Camp students may take/re-take the placement exam independent of the date of their last attempt.