The Math Department requires an exam for placement in many courses. Based on your exam results, the department will enter a BMAT score into your Banner student record. Your BMAT score determines the classes in which you are allowed to register and stays valid for one year. The exam is given in two parts, each with a 30 minute time limit, and your combined results on each part determine your BMAT score (see below). Both parts of the exam must be taken in the same session, and you must pass Part 1 in order to be allowed to take Part 2. You may only take the exam one time per exam window – see the Repeat Policy below for additional details.
Update, July 21 2021: On-campus Math Placement Exams
We have received University approval to resume in person placement exams. All UH COVID-19 policies must be followed for the in person sessions including face masks, social distancing, and checkin using Lumisight. Due to limited space and to adhere to safety protocols we cannot accept walk-ins for these sessions. All test takers must have a reservation.
The following dates and times are scheduled:
- Take the practice exams. Note the problems you missed.
- Review similar problems covered in high school math classes. Part 1 has 24 questions and covers high school algebra. You have to pass Part 1 with 14 or more points to take Part 2, which has 20 questions and also contains logarithm and trigonometry problems.
- Retake the practice exams as needed – a different version is generated with each attempt
- Preparation for the Placement Exam & What to do if you did not reach the desired or needed score
- On campus testing is in the Physical Science 208 computer lab.
- You will not be allowed to attempt the exam without your UH Student ID or an official picture ID.
- Phones and calculators are NOT allowed during the exam.
- Off campus testing with ProctorU requires visual verification of the above items and additional security measures. You must allow your proctor to control your computer during portions of the session.
- Bring a pencil.
- Your score on the exam is valid for one year.
Off campus through ProctorU: If you have a fast and reliable internet connection, you may take the exam from a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam. At this time, you must use either Chrome or Firefox web browsers. Please test your equipment by going to the following site: ProctorU – How do I test my equipment?
The base cost is $17.50 with additional fees possible for rush service. To take the Math Placement Exam off campus, please see the following website: proctoru.com/hawaii. If you have questions about scheduling your ProctorU exam, please see the following link ProctorU – How do I schedule my exam? Alternatively, you may take the exam at an NCTA approved testing center.
Scores will be entered by 12 noon HST on the third business day following your Exam date. This is to allow for any issues/anomalies to be reported by ProctorU or the remote testing center. If you do not see your score in STAR within or after three business days, please email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) to record your score.
Viewing your BMAT score
Log in to STAR GPS Registration. Follow the path: Transcripts -> Campus Transcript by Semester. Your score should be located in the top left corner.
*EFFECTIVE beginning Spring 2018 – ICS 141 requires MATH 215 or 241 or 251A with a grade of “C” or better as its prerequisite. Therefore, you can no longer use the MATH Assessment exam to place into ICS 141.
*EFFECTIVE beginning Fall 2019 – ATMO 150, ERTH 150, and OCN 150 require completion of MATH 134, 161 or MATH assessment exam (with score required for MATH 140).
*EFFECTIVE beginning Fall 2020 – BIOL 220, BIOL 220L, BOT 220, and BOT 220L requires completion of MATH 134 or MATH assessment exam (with score required for MATH 140) as one of their prerequisites. Please see UH Manoa 2020-2021 Catalog for additional prerequisites.
|MINIMUM SCORE REQUIRED||BMAT||APPROVED FOR:|
|Part I||Part II|
|Less than 14||—||0||Did not pass exam. Please refer to our Repeat Policy below and Ways to Prepare for the Exam|
|14||—||1||Math 140, 203; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*
|14||10||2||Math 140, 203, 215; Physics 151; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*|
|14||12||3||Math 140, 203, 215, 241; Physics 151; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*|
|14||14||4||Math 140, 203, 215, 241, 251A**; Physics 151; ATMO 150; ERTH 150; OCN 150; BIOL 220*, 220L*; BOT 220*, 220L*
*For BIOL 220, BIOL 220L, BOT 220 & BOT 220L, please see UH Manoa 2020-2021 Catalog for additional prerequisites.
**To enroll in Math 251A, please schedule an interview with the Director of Undergraduate Studies by telephone: (808)956-4679 or email: email@example.com. Please include your first and last name, and UH ID number.
*EFFECTIVE February 24, 2020 – Placement Exam cut-off dates have been adjusted to better accommodate registration dates. The new testing periods are as follows:
You may take the Placement Exam once during each of these periods:
- March 16th through June 15th (good for the Summer, Fall and upcoming Spring),
- June 16th through October 15th (good for Math courses that begin June 15th 2020 and Summer Session II calendar year 2020, and also Fall and upcoming Spring and Summer),
- October 16th through March 15th (good for the upcoming Spring, Summer and Fall).
Note: Please remember that your BMAT score is valid for ONE year.
You may not need to take the math placement exam if you either
- passed the exam no more than one year ago, or
- have appropriate transfer credits, or
- received an acceptable score on the Calculus Advanced Placement Exam, Math SAT, ACT (see details), or
- if you want Math 140 and got credit in Math 134 or 135 at UH Manoa
- if you want Math 140 and got a grade of “C” or better in Math 135 at a UH Community College or at UH West Oahu
- if you want Math 140 and got a grade of “C” or better in Math 135 (used to be offered as Math 104F) at UH Hilo