We offer graduate programs leading to MA and PhD degrees.
Department admission requirements
The background requirement for admission to the graduate program is the completion of a standard undergraduate program in mathematics or the equivalent. The candidate will generally be expected to know linear algebra, the elements of abstract algebra, and elementary real analysis. A student whose degree has been awarded in some other field may be considered if they have had the appropriate courses.
Students must have current general GRE scores and submit a personal statement describing their reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in math.
Applicants for graduate study must apply to, and be accepted by, the University of Hawaii Graduate Division for admission as a degree candidate. Perferred deadline for the Fall semester is February 15 and for the Spring semester is October 1. Late applications are reviewed on a space available basis.
A completed application consists of:
- UH official application to be submitted through the UHM Graduate School admissions site.
- The mathematics department application form. (You must fill out the form all at once; here is sample showing what questions you will have to answer and what documents you will be asked to upload.)
- Three letters of recommendation either sent to email@example.com or uploaded by your letter writers through the Grad Division site: http://www.manoa.hawaii.edu/graduate/content/submitting-your-application
The following items will be required:
- Transcripts from all undergraduate and previous graduate institutions (unofficial transcripts suffice for evaluation of your application; official transcripts are required for admission to the program).
- Current General GRE scores (Mathematics test is optional).
- Personal statement describing your experience and interest in pursuing a graduate degree in math.
- Application fee for official application. (Contact the firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)
- Most foreign applicants must also submit TOEFL scores. The graduate school requires a score of at least 500 (equivalently, 173 on the computer-based test or 61 on the internet-based test) to be admitted, and a score of at least 600 (or 250 on the CBT or 100 on the IBT) is required to be considered for a teaching assistantship in mathematics.
Graduate Assistantships are available and provide tuition waiver and a stipend starting at \$18,900 for the academic year. PhD students are usually assured of 6 years support if they are in good standing. Many MA students are supported by teaching assistantship on a year by year basis. Some faculty members also have grants that have funds to support students with Research Assistantships. Most graduate assistants teach recitation sections for pre-calculus and calculus courses though other options exist: tutoring, grading, teaching a class, or assisting a professor.
Note that tuition is waived for graduate assistants, but they are not exempt from other fees listed in the Graduate Bulletin.
The Graduate Division requires that Graduate Assistants carry a minimum of six credits per semester, which may include research and seminar courses.
Tuition and fees for graduate students (subject to change without notice)
Tuition and fees are charged according to the number of credit hours carried by the student; auditors (those enrolled in a course for no credit) pay the same fees as students enrolled for credit. For tuition purposes only, a full-time student is any student enrolled for 8 or more credit hours. However, many mathematics students take only 6 credit hours per semester, to allow time for teaching and research.
Almost all room assignments to on-campus residence halls go to Hawaii residents who have priority. There are limited facilities on campus for married students.
For applications and more information, see the
You can find more information about our graduate programs at the prospective student page.
To write to the department address, send an email, download applications, and/or register online.
|Department Address||Department Phone Numbers||Graduate Chair||Application Forms
University of Hawaii
Department of Mathematics
2565 McCarthy Mall
Honolulu, HI 96822-2273
|Phone (808) 956-7951
Fax (808) 956-9139
|University Graduate Division
- Fall: February 15
- Spring: October 1
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.